Keep Your Bottom Line in the Black
Attend a free webinar:
- Understanding the U.S. R & D Tax Credit - Hear how to take a solid approach to maximizing R & D tax credits with documentation and support that will help you avoid audits.
- Documenting Qualified R & D Activities with Exact JobBOSS, Learn how to document and track qualified R & D activities with JobBOSS.
| Most shops still have manually operated machines in their arsenal, and those machines rarely gather dust. So why not take a quick look at some of the ways those machines can be used more productively and profitably? |
| Many parts require you to do repetitive calculations to create a tool path. If you’re programming manually, that can be a daunting and time consuming task with a large potential to make errors. Many shops opt to use a CAM system or parametric programs, but not every machine or shop has these capabilities. With Microsoft Excel, you can set up arrays to complete the calculations, and with a few tricks, you can use that program to produce the actual lines of code. Read the full story here |
| Two recent innovations offer job shops affordable alternatives to manual machine tending and highpriced custom automation systems. The first is the DS 1200-MTL system from Distech Systems Inc., and the second is the JobShop Cell from Methods Machine Tools. Both systems provide the same productivity and labor-saving advantages as custom systems, yet with job shop flexibility. Read the full story here |
| There is no way to deny that machines driven by computer numerical controls are the most productive tools available to a shop, but there are many managers and owners who say that manual machines still have a place in shops, and there are some shops that use nothing but manual machines and continue to be profitable. Read the full story here |
| Intelligent NC captures the user's knowledge of the machine process and recognizes the appropriate machining strategies. Read the full story here |
| An email from a reader implied the question of whether anyone who continues to use manual machine tools is making money. Read the full story here |
NOW AVAILABLE! 2008 Benchmarks for Machine Shops
The only way to measure your performance against a national pool of peers and competitors
- Detailed data on nearly 100 different metrics.
- Covers human resources, operations, technology, customer service and finance.
- Includes a 12-point executive dashboard just for machine shops.
- Developing and executing new strategies
- Measurable process improvement
- Quality certification benchmarking
“Please, please, please keep producing this data...It will really help us get this country back to the top of world manufacturing....”
2008 American Machinist reader.
ONLY $59.95 plus tax and shipping & handling. ORDER YOURS TODAY!
Machine Tool Theater
American Machinist's Machine Tool Theater, the metal-cutting industry's first and most comprehensive exclusively video website. These videos are about machining and machining equipment. You'll see faster, more precise machines; cutting tools to process virtually any material; finishing technologies; automation systems; quality instruments and manufacturing software. See the latest tools and techniques being used to reduce cycle times and increase productivity.
Watch Videos Now!
| Free Digital Edition |
Now you can get the latest edition of American Machinist delivered directly to your computer.
American Machinist's digital edition allow you to:
- Page through articles.
- Click hotlinks to advertiser websites.
- Send emails to authors and other contacts.
- Zoom, print or 'email a colleague' articles of interest.
Sign Up Today!