Celeritive Technologies’ VoluMill high-speed rough machining software is available now for GibbsCAM CNC programming software, according to Gibbs and Associates.
VoluMill uses a “ultra-high performance” algorithm to generate toolpaths based upon desirable material removal rates. Traditional roughing-toolpath generators create parallel offsets optimized through stops, starts and variable speeds to reduce tool wear and excessive tool loading during sharp corners and transitions. By contrast, VoluMill uses continuous tangential motion, specialized contour ramping, and adaptive feedrates to achieve the highest feeds and speeds that are possible. “By leveling tool load, maintaining constant machine-tool motion, and using high-speed repositioning, the software significantly reduces cycle times,” according to a GibbsCAM statement.
VoluMill works on all solid, surface, and wireframe models, and any combination of part and stock boundaries. It supports an unlimited number of islands, tapered walls, variable pocket depths, and variable island heights. Among VoluMill's features are:
- Programmed Rate of Material Removal, to keep tool and workpiece temperature consistent and to dissipate heat with chips;
- Automatic Feedrate Adjustment and Automatic Depth of Cut, to maintain programmed material removal rate eliminate excessive material conditions, and minimize tool wear, heat build-up and vibration;
- Smoothing Radius, to maximize tool utilization, minimize cycle time, and extend programming flexibility;
- Contour Ramping, to maximize material removal in tight areas, with safe access, while minimizing cycle time;
- High-Speed Repositioning, to maximize machine utilization, and minimize cycle time.